Monday, July 26, 2010

A Must Read

I read for pleasure for an hour every evening (I don't watch tv except for Top Chef, so I have time to do this) and right now I am rereading Michael Korda's ANOTHER LIFE, published in 1999. Korda, a really lovely and gracious man and a terrific writer, wrote the memoir about his life in publishing, and I am not surprised to be enjoying it as much as I did the first time and realizing that it is still relevant ten years later. For a terrific education in publishing, this really is a must read, and I want to hear reports from all of you when you have done so. Or if you've read it already, please tell me about it: nothing is more fun than sharing the enjoyment of a great read.

5 comments:

  1. I will get it this week. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading a lot of memoirs to familiarize myself with that market since that is what I'm currently writing. therefore I'll gladly add this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will also check this week about this

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read ANOTHER LIFE a while back. It's a great - and FUN - read, but all the things that I liked about the book also made me dislike Korda as a person. You're right that as a history of publishing it's incredible. The guy had a pretty epic career and he is soooooo dishy, but he also has a bit of a poison pen. His descriptions of other people are almost always mean, cruel even, while he sort of breezily whitewashes over all his own faults.

    ReplyDelete