Tuesday, June 30, 2015

TBA Monthly Wishlist -- June 2015

It's time again for the Monthly Wishlist!  Here's the ONE project that the TBA agents would love to see in their submission inbox. If you have something that fits with the below, please check out our submission guidelines and send it over. We can't wait to read!

High concept women’s fiction with lots of plot, emotion and heart, like THE LIFE LIST by Lori Nelson Spielman. – Jenny Bent

MG fantasy with an intelligent, contemporary feel, please! – Molly Ker Hawn

Be it YA, MG or Picture Book; contemporary, speculative or historical (I’m open to most genres), I want unique, smart, character-driven projects.  If you’re taking risks with your writing, I want to see it.  Surprise me!  – Susan Hawk

Would love to see a YA contemporary that follows a group of friends in a city during a sudden blackout. Something that happens over a very short period of time (like starting that evening and into the next morning). No contact with family or anyone and no idea what caused it or when it will end. Looking for something funny but poignant, where these kids have their own adventure for the night, and of course, their lives change.  – Beth Phelan

I would love to work on a speculative novel or thriller with supernatural elements, either YA or adult. Think THE ROOK by Daniel O'Malley, THE MAGICIANS by Lev Grossman, or HALF-RESURRECTION BLUES by Daniel Jose Older. I want to believe in (and be terrified by) magic! – Brooks Sherman

Historical fiction set during a momentous time or centered around the secret love affair of a historical figure. – Louise Fury

A domestic suspense novel with a really strong sense of place like MO Walsh's MY SUNSHINE AWAY. – Victoria Lowes

I’d love to see YA contemporary, with high-stakes romance. – Heather Flaherty

Gemma Cooper is currently closed to queries; she’ll reopen this August.

3 comments:

  1. Brooks looks like he would definitely be into a YA MR/Spec Fic Thriller which is awesome.

    But would Beth Phelan be happy to see that? I've talked to one of her clients and heard nothing but awesome things. Don't want to waist anyone's time though and would be just as happy to query Brooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy my clients are saying awesome things about me! I think they're pretty awesome too.

      I'm happy to see a lot of things, and consider pretty much any genre of YA. But Brooks is also really great, so you'd be fine going to him as well. Go with your gut, I say!

      Delete
  2. Because you mentioned it, I just read the opening pages of The Life List. The first paragraph is one of the most beautifully written openings I have ever read. Brought me to tears, many tears, because, as fiction often does, it parallels life experience.
    If that’s, “high concept women’s fiction with lots of plot, emotion and heart,” I’m in. I bought it. Now all I have to do is figure out how to write like that.

    ReplyDelete