Monday, February 10, 2014

Victoria's 2014 Wishlist

Hello all! A lot of the agents at TBA have been giving you their updated query wish lists for 2014 so I’d like to follow suit and let you all know what I’m on the hunt for this year. As you may or may not know, I’m first and foremost looking for titles intended for the digital-first market. But more specifically, here’s the kinds of projects I’d most like to get my hands on.

Romance:  I have fallen in love (which seems appropriate, I suppose) with this genre over the last 6 months or so. I’m always looking for romances of every style- with the exception of paranormals- but I’d especially like:

  • Sports Romance that is both very sweet and very sexy.
  • Erotic Romance that isn’t BDSM (although I will also consider ones that are).
  • Romantic Suspense with an authentic love interest and off-the-charts narrative tension.
  • Contemporary Romance with a touch of magical realism- think The Time Traveler’s Wife.
  • LGBT Romances of any kind.
  • Historical Romance that isn’t set in the Regency era. Take me somewhere new! With these, I’d like for there to be a certain emphasis on the culture and what sets this time place apart from our own.
  • Young Adult Contemporaries that combine humor with the sense of gravity that comes along with being young and in love. 

Speaking of YA, I’d also really, really love a dark, gritty, even sort of creepy YA mystery.

New Adult: I’m really interested to see how this genre will evolve so in particular I’m looking for a NA that will contribute something new.

Women’s fiction: For this, having both a strong hook and authentic voice are essential. I don’t like women’s fiction that’s too sweet but rather stories about strong, relatable women that have humor laced throughout.

Historical fiction: While I love all sorts of different kinds of historical fiction, I’m most actively looking for something set during the early 20th century or during the 1950’s. Something that’s fast paced, and exciting with a touch of romance would be perfect.

Also, I’m a sucker for smart fairytale retellings that perhaps tell the same story from a different perspective and would love to get my hands on a contemporary that’s a fresh take on witches. In general, I’m drawn to prose that’s simple but effective and without excessive literary flair.

I look forward to reading what you guys have up your sleeves. Even if your project doesn’t match these descriptions exactly, send them my way- I’d be thrilled to fall in love with something unexpected. Happy querying, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment